background


"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?" by Marianne Williamson

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

When is a green crayon not a green crayon?


As I was working on my green and gold background crayon paper for Christmas cards, I pulled a small piece of a green crayon out of my basket. I had several green crayons out and ready to use because the different shades always create nice depth in the paper...



I was very surprised when I began melting this crayon because I didn't get green, I got gold! Very shiny gold. So, I played with it a little bit on the page then put it down to do some research. I can across this blog: http://aleksandreia.wordpress.com/2009/03/18/all-that-glisters-is-not-metallic-gold/ and discovered something I never even thought of before. Apparently my gold crayon is pre-1994 and was made using bronze powder. Crayola no longer uses bronze powder in their gold and copper crayons. I also have a copper crayon that is from the 1960's ( I believe)...







And there is a gold in that old package as well but it is not nearly as green as the little piece I found. So, after finding out that the formula for my shiny gold piece has been discontinued, I thought I'd compare it to a new gold crayon:









See how shiny it is compared to the newer gold formula. It is wonderful. I won't be using this crayon any longer. It will go with my other older crayons and I also will not be using the green/gold paper sheet I made with it. I think I will save that too.

This discovery kinda got me in a collecting mood. :) It may seem strange, but I can see myself collecting old crayons... Hmmm...

4 comments:

Diann said...

What a neat discovery and very interesting to read about...your end result crayon paper is just beautiful....thanks for sharing!
Diann

Anonymous said...

Oh Wow....that is SO interesting!!! I had no idea either and I don't blame you...think I would have to hang on to that one as well!!!

Pat said...

Here's one for ya: http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-SEALED-1992-CRAYOLA-CRAYONS-COLLECTOR-TIN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1240Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2ea64d64e0QQitemZ200358585568QQptZMetalwareQQsalenotsupported
So, how do you make the paper with crayons???

AngieHallHaviland said...

Well...that's NEAT!! you know I have quiet the collection....need to look at them better when digging through them. Had some really old ones that belonged to my grandmaw...they were in her paper doll collection...when I put the paper dolls in the attic I had the brains to remove the crayons so they didn't melt...but didn't have the brains to remember where I put them. LOL I just love crayons!!! THANKS for sharing this!